CV (Media-art oriented)
(Redirected from CV)
- Email: shervin [*at*] shervinafshar.name
Last update on 8 January 2012.
- B.Sc., 2006, Computer Engineering (Software), Sheikh Bahaee Institute of Higher Education (SHBU : http://www.shbu.ac.ir), Esfahan, Iran.
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA), 2003, Barbod Institute, Esfahan, Iran.
- M.A., 2009-2011, Interface Culture, Linz University of Art and Industrial Design (http://interface.ufg.ac.at), Linz, Austria. [unfinished]
Projects and Collaborations
- “Colors of the Times: Linz Bunt Blitz”, media facade project, part of repertoire of Ars Electronica media facade during Media Facade Festival Europe (http://www.mediafacades.eu/), Linz, Austria, September 2010.
- “The Evidence of Things Not Said”, interactive public intervention, collaboration with David Brunnthaler and Henning Schulze, exhibited in Ars Electronica Festival (http://www.aec.at/repair), Linz, Austria, September 2010.
- “Newsleak”, transitory media output device, collaboration with Timothy Devine and Jayme Cochrane, exhibited in Kitchen Budapest (http://www.kitchenbudapest.hu/en), Ars Electronica Festival (http://www.aec.at/repair), and Social Bits Istanbul (http://socialbits.org/), Summer 2010.
- “NewsFireHose”, net-art, collaboration with Jayme Cochrane, part of “The Art Collider: Uncuratable ART” exhibition, “La Bellevilloise”, Paris, France, 7 to 16 April 2010.
- “Glyphlux”, interactive installation, part of “Khat keshi” exhibition on experimental typography, UdK-Berlin Designtransger Gallery (http://www.designtransfer.udk-berlin.de/), Berlin, Germany, 28 May – 7 June, 2009.
- “Glyphlux”, TYPO Berlin, Berlin, Germany, 21-23 May 2009.
- “Glyphlux”, Digital Ritual (http://digitalritual.wordpress.com), April 2009, Open Concept Gallery (http://www.openconceptgallery.org), Grand Rapids, MI, United States.
- “Glyphlux”, interactive installation, part of “Khat-keshi” exhibition on experimental typography, Tehran, Summer 2007.
- Tehran-Berlin: Reloading Images: Work in Progress (http://www.reloadingimages.org/?page_id=28/), artistic research project, Tehran and Berlin, 2007;
- “The Cross Trio: Image, Type, Ornament” performance; a study of recurring patterns depending on images, typography, and ornaments all through the history of visual culture and art, featured in Reloading Images project, Tehran, summer 2007;
- “The Cross Trio: All Around Us”, installation, featured in Reloading Images project, Berlin, October 2007;
- “The Blue Box”, live performance and digital media, “Limited Accessibility” exhibition (www.parkingallery.com/limited/), Tarrahan-e-Azad Art Gallery, Tehran, Iran, March 2007.
- Member of organizing committee for “Deeper Depression” art project (http://www.parkingallery.com/deep/), Tehran, July 2006;
- Sound engineer for musician Meysam Taddayon, 2002-2003;
- Technical cooperation with “Parkingallery.com” (http://www.parkingallery.com);
- Sound engineer in “Anime Salve” live performance, Mikhak Art Gallery, Esfahan, Iran, November 2001. This live performance was part of cooperative art project “Zurich transit Esfahan”. Main contributors to the performance were Akbar Mikhak, Jan Morgenthaler, Rowshan Raami, and Meysam Taddoyon.
- Computer Internetworks Management; Tools, Methods and New Approaches, B.Sc. Final Thesis, Under the Supervision of Professor Ahmad Baraani Dastjerdi, 2004-2006.
- Roland Haring, Hideaki Ogawa, Christopher Lindinger, Horst Hörtner, Shervin Afshar, and David Stolarsky. 2010. The city at hand: media installations as urban information systems. In Proceedings of the 6th Nordic Conference on Human-Computer Interaction: Extending Boundaries (NordiCHI '10). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 667-670.
- Persian Translation of “Cyber Reader: Critical Writings for the Digital Era” introduction (by Neil Spiller), Iranian Art Quarterly Magazine, 2008.
- Persian Transaction of “Video Art: A Guided Tour” introduction, Iranian Art Quarterly Magazine, 2008.
- Software Localization and Internationalization Engineer, HighTech Passport, Ltd., San Jose, CA, United State, 2011 (current);
- Creative Engineer, Ars Electronica FutureLab (http://www.aec.at), Linz, Austria, 2008-2011;
- Technical Translator and Documenter, Sharif FarsiWeb, Inc. (http://www.farsiweb.info), Tehran, Iran, 2007;
- Assistant to CTO, Kyansoft Co. (http://www.kyansoft.com), Tehran, Iran, 2006-2007;
- IT Manager and System Analyst, Narges IT, Esfahan, Iran, 2003;
- IT Manager, Zabanpajoohan, Tehran, Iran, 2000;
- Project Manager and Chief Web Designer, Iran Tourism Festival Official Website, 18-27 Sep. 1999, Tehran, Iran.
- Representing HighTech Passport, Ltd. in Unicode Technical Committee;
- Iran vote on ISO proposal DIS-29500 (Microsoft OOXML), collaboration with Roozbeh Pournader, 2007.
- Admin on Persian Wikipedia, May 2005;
- Bureaucrat on Persian Wikipedia, April 2006;
- Stadt der Kulturen award (category "social and cultural integration of immigrants") for the project "The Evidence of Things Not Said" from City of Linz, January 2011.
- Generative Art;
- Cybernetics, Artistic, Social, and Philosophical Approaches;
- Time-based Media in Art;
- Interactive Digital Art;
- Artificial Intelligence in Art;
- Art in Public Sphere;
- Information Technology, Computer Ethics.
- Digital Media Development;
- Media Art Projects Organization.
- Hardware and Electronics:
- Networking passive and active devices and cabling;
- PCs hardware;
- Electrical/electronic circuits; designing and implementing RLC circuits, high/low pass filters, clipper circuits, and working with oscilloscope and signal generator as well as general knowledge about electronic elements and soldering;
- Logic circuits design (with the aim of simulation softwares like MultiSim) and implementation: Working with full-/half-adder, decoder, multiplexer, comparator, counter, and ALU integrated circuits (ICs) generally TTL 74xx and 45xx families;
- Microprocessors: Working with Zylog Z80 and Intel 8056 microprocessors, implementation of different tasks using the machine language.
- Robotics: Familiarity with PIC micro-controller, ultrasonic range-finders, servo-based robots, obstacle-avoidance algorithms.
- Softwares and Tools :
- Operating Systems : Extensively used Linux, Mac OS X, and Microsoft Windows (2000/XP);
- Databases : Oracle Database 9i/10g, Oracle Developer Suite 9i/10g, MySQL, Microsoft SQL Server. Familiarity with OLAP.
- Computer Simulation Tools : DESIRE, GPSS, ns (network simulator).
- Others : Extensively used SVN, MediaWiki, Doxygen, and Bugzilla. Familiarity with Apache web-server, Dspace repository, and Cygwin.
- Persian: Native language;
- English: Able to speak, write, read, and translate fluently;
- German: Duetsches Sprachinstitute in Teheran, Goethe Institute in Tehran, 2007 to September 2008. Passed 400 hours of language education.
- Arabic: Very basic knowledge.
- References would be available upon request.